Saturday, September 15, 2007

Day 20 Durian, longan, medjool and spanish limes

What language is the title written in? Read on my friends

It seems like I was in the kitchen all day long today. I started last night with the chocolate turtles. Today I started by making potato chips. Now mind you it is not just cutting the potatoes and putting them on the dehydrator. It is peeling them, slicing them, salting them on both sides and then placing them on the trays of the dehydrator. I also made some more sweet potatoes and then placed some Portobello mushrooms. I put some olive oil, fresh garlic and Himalayan salt.

My parents came over today because my dad was going to install a new dining room lamp. I took my mom on some errands and we went to a Lebanese store to buy a case of Medjool dates. Then we went to a Russian store for olive oil and then we went to an Asian market for durian, young Thai coconuts and longans. As we were on line to pay for the produce I was just amazes at what I was buying. These things were foreign to me in the past and I only saw these products when Antony Bourdain would travel to distant lands to try their foods on The Food Network. Mind you I would always venture to try new foods at produce markets and restaurants but now a days I am really exploring and experimenting more than before.

The durian was very good. it is very creamy yet cottony at the same time and sweet. It smells awful but it tastes very good. I would hate to be under a tree if one of these prehistoric looking fruits falls off a tree. It could scrape you up, cut you or knock you into tomorrow. The young coconuts are good as well. I am going to drink some of the coconut water tomorrow when I play volleyball. It is the best electrolyte food replacement on earth.



The longan fruit was something I found today. I asked a lady what it was and she could not tell me. The produce man handed one to me and it was soooooo sweet. I can only compare it to a fruit I have eaten from Puerto Rico called Spanish lime (quenepa). Believe me it does not resemble a lime at all and neither does a longan. It is thin skinned and has a big pit for the size of the fruit but it is the flesh that is between that is so good. It is soft, sweet and refreshing.

I also ate my first cooked meal in 3 weeks. I made a pasta primavera for my parents and I. I used organic whole-wheat pasta, organic snow peas, organic sugar snap peas, watercress, red peppers, onions, mushrooms, corn, onions and organic portobellos. I cooked the vegetables just lightly and they kept a lot of crunch. I also ate very little pasta. I did not enjoy the texture of it at all.

Nutrients of the day:
16 oz green drink with E3live,
1/2 cranberry almond bar
Mineral water
Whole-wheat pasta, organic snow peas, organic sugar snap peas, watercress, red peppers, onions, mushrooms, corn, onions and organic portobellos
1 durian pod
10 longans
1 raw crunch bar

Quote of the day:
""Everyone who got to where they are had to begin where they were." - Richard Paul Evans

No comments:

amazon.com from Raw Foods Wealth 2 Health

Alissa Cohen Raw Food Store